Makes 12 Cupcakes
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
3. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
(enough to liberally frost 12-16 cupcakes)
8 ounces of cream cheese; room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter; room temperature
4 tablespoons shortening* (Crisco)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 ounces unsweetened chocolated; melted and slightly cooled.
4 cups confectioners’ sugar; sifted
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter, cream cheese and shortening until well blended.
2. Add in the vanilla and salt and mix on low speed until well combined.
3. Gradually pour in the chocolate until thoroughly combined.
4. Add in the confertioners’ sugar one cup at a time until completely incorporated.
1. I use Crisco for a little stability in my frosting, if you are opposed to Crisco, simply sub in a few more tablespoons of butter.
2. The brown cupcake liners and the piping tip used are both from Bake It Pretty.