- My Baking Addiction - http://www.mybakingaddiction.com -
Homemade Blueberry Sauce
Blueberry season is well underway and since I’m a big fan of these little blue gems, I’m trying to find as many ways as possible to work them into some delicious recipes. Sure, I could totally just eat them by the fistful straight out of the little basket, but why not explore new recipes that utilize this sweet summer berry?
Over the weekend, I picked up a mass quantity of locally grown blueberries and knew that I wanted to create a simple lemon infused homemade blueberry sauce for a recipe that’s coming up tomorrow. But this sauce was so incredibly tasty, that I couldn’t just stop there. As the weekend progressed we were adding a dollop of this homemade blueberry sauce to freshly churned vanilla ice cream, graham crackers and breakfast pancakes.
This sauce is sweet with a hint of tartness and adds the perfect little something extra to anything it comes into contact with. Okay – maybe not anything, so don’t go slathering this on Beef Jerky expecting something epic.
Stay tuned to tomorrow’s post and find out what I did with this homemade blueberry sauce that created one of the easiest and tastiest recipes that I’ve made in recent weeks.
July 18th, 2011
Homemade Blueberry Sauce
Yield: about 8 servings
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup of water, sugar and lemon juice. Stir frequently, and bring to a low boil.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
3. Slowly stir the corn starch into the blueberries, taking care not to crush the blueberries. Simmer until the homemade blueberry sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- The amount of sugar that you use will depend on the sweetness of your berries, simply adjust the amount to suite your taste.
- If this sauce is too thick for you, slowly add in water until you reach the desired consistency.
- No lemons on hand? This homemade blueberry sauce recipe tastes really great with orange juice and zest.
Article printed from My Baking Addiction: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com
URL to article: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/homemade-blueberry-sauce-recipe/
Copyright © 2014 My Baking Addiction. All rights reserved.