Lemon Curd Coconut Cupcakes
When I made the coconut cupcakes earlier in the week, I had a bunch of coconut cream cheese frosting left over. This frosting was too amazing to throw away, so I had to do something with it!
I decided to use Dorie Greenspan’s Perfect Party Cake recipe with a few variations. This is an amazing basic white cake recipe that can be tweaked to meet your tastes and cravings. Dorie’s book, Baking: From My Home to Yours, can be found on amazon and is completely worth the price.
Here are my changes:
- I cut the recipe in half and did not add the lemon extract to the cake batter and
- I made the recipe into mini cupcakes
- I used my Wilton 230 tip to inject them with lemon curd and frosted them with this coconut cream cheese frosting.
Injecting lemon curd into the cupcakes proved to be a stroke of genius. The lemon curd recipe is a super easy microwave version from allrecipes, and slightly addictive! It’s really tart, but I am sure you could add a little more sugar to take it down a notch if that’s not your thing. This was absolutely delicious and truly made these little cupcakes into something beyond ordinary.
Microwave Lemon Curd
1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh lemon juice
the zest of 3 lemons
1/2 cup unsalted butter; melted
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth.
2. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
4. Remove from the microwave, and pour into containers.
- Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
- from allrecipes