Today is World Nutella Day, so you knew there was no way I’d forgo posting something that utilizes this delicious Chocolate Hazlenut spread. As I have stated once or twice, I love Nutella and I’m pretty certain you could smear the stuff on a piece of cardboard and I’d be completely content!
Taking a simple chocolate cupcake recipe and filling the middle with that awesome Nutella lusciousness, definitely quenches that hazelnut craving that I get more frequently than I’d like to admit. Top off with Nutella buttercream, and these are truly irresistible to those Nutella fanatics that I know are plentiful! Just a word of caution…these babies are rich, so have a glass of milk near by and don’t be tempted to eat more than one in a single sitting.
This post is not your typical MBA post; meaning it’s not a complete recipe. This is more like a framework which will help you to build your Nutella masterpiece. Essentially, you’ll bake 24 chocolate cupcakes using your fave recipe and I’ll walk you through the rest! Sound like a plan? Alright, let’s get to it.
-I made one of my favorite chocolate cupcake recipes according to the recipe directions (you’ll see my fave in an upcoming fundamentals post). Use whatever recipe floats your boat. Cool them completely.
-Hollow out a small circle in the center of each cupcake; I use an apple corer  because I am anal and obsessed with symmetry. You can also use this piping tip  from Wilton which allows you to inject things into cupcakes. -Fill a piping bag with one 13-ounce jar of nutella. This sounds like a lot, but trust me, you’ll need to fill all of the cupcakes.
-Pipe the nutella into each hollowed center of the cupcake or if you’re using the tip method, simply push the tip down into the center of the cupcake, pipe in the filling until the cupcake swells slightly on the top.
-Prepare the Nutella Buttercream Recipe below and pipe it on your cupcakes.
-Top each frosted cupcake with a piece of chocolate hazelnut candy bar .
-New to making buttercream frosting? Check out my Fundamentals: Buttercream post .
-I piped the frosting using the large round tip  from Bake It Pretty. You can check out my video piping tutorial found in this post .
-The chocolate brown liners  are also from Bake It Pretty.
*Recipe edited 7/1/12: Due to several readers have issues with the thickness of the frosting, we have adjusted the amount of confectioners’ sugar to 1.5 pounds. The thickness of the Nutella Buttercream will depend on the amount of heavy cream that is added.
February 5th, 2011
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
Yield: enough buttercream to frost 24 cupcakes
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 13-ounce jar of Nutella
pinch of fine grain sea salt
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
1.5 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
6-8 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and Nutella until well combined, thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 3-5 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- This recipe will make enough frosting to generously frost 24 cupcakes or one 9 inch layer cake.
- You can easily adjust the consistency of this recipe by simply adding in more heavy cream or milk.
- Covered and refrigerated frosting can be stored for up to three days. Simply bring it to room temperature and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. You may need to add a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream or milk to revive the consistency.
- Recipe edited 7/1/12: Due to several readers having issues with the thickness of the frosting, we have adjusted the amount of confectioners' sugar to 1.5 pounds. The thickness of the Nutella Buttercream will also depend on the amount of heavy cream that is added.
URLs in this post:
 apple corer: http://astore.amazon.com/mybakadd02-20/detail/B00004OCIQ
 this piping tip: http://astore.amazon.com/mybakadd02-20/detail/B0040USV84
 chocolate hazelnut candy bar: http://www.lindtusa.com/product-exec/product_id/324/category_id/5/nm/Grandeur_Dark_Hazelnut_Chocolate_Bar
 Fundamentals: Buttercream post: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/fundamentals-buttercream-frosting/
 large round tip: http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_309/Round-Giant-Pastry-Tip.htm
 this post: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com../snickers-cupcakes/
 chocolate brown liners: http://www.bakeitpretty.com/item_811/Hot-Solid-Color-Baking-Cups.htm
 Mocha Shortbread with Nutella: http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/mocha-shortbread-with-nutella/
 Nutella Crepes: http://dineanddish.net/2010/12/crosby-taylor-measuring-spoons-giveaway-recipe-nutella-crepes/
 Nutella Fudge Brownies: http://wenderly.com/2011/01/22/nutella-fudge-brownies/