Pumpkin Bread is an easy fall treat that you can bake for yourself or for a loved one. It makes a wonderful gift, snack, or tea time treat!
Like most bakers, I become a little wrapped up in pumpkin during the fall months. Some may call it obsession, but I prefer the term adoration. Yep, I adore – wholeheartedly adore – pumpkin.
If I’m completely honest, I love that gourd from January through December, but I definitely get a little preoccupied with this magical orange squash throughout October and November.
I’m that weird chick at the grocery store with the cart full of pumpkin cans because I totally fear another shortage. I’ll even admit it, there’s a mini pumpkin can tower hanging out on my counter right now because I ran out of room in the pantry.
One of the first recipes that I make every October is Pumpkin Bread. I remember someone telling me about this recipe years ago, and it was so good that I have remained faithful to it since my first bite. Of course I add my own spin on it by tossing in a little vanilla and my homemade pumpkin pie spice.
It fills the house with the most intoxicating aroma – that I swear needs to be bottled because I’d totally wear it as a perfume – although it may be a bit odd walking around smelling like a loaf of pumpkin bread, huh? Or maybe not.. I certainly find it pretty enticing!
This bread has an incredible texture that remains insanely moist for days. Like fine wine, it gets better with age. Allowing it to hang out on the counter will only make it better – bonus! That is, if it lasts that long. We can never make it stretch more than about 2 days in this house.
Serve it up at your next book club, or with breakfast on Sunday. It’s a fantastic fall treat that everyone will be asking you to make again and again.
Yield: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8.5 x 4 x 2.5 inch loaf pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, vanilla and sugar until well blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- This bread is a fantastic base for all sorts of additions. Get creative by adding in chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried cranberries or whatever else sounds good to you.