Pumpkin and Chocolate. You either love it or hate it, right? Personally, I’m kind of a fan; however, in my opinion nothing beats the combination of cream cheese and pumpkin. And in case you haven’t noticed I’m pretty much a self-proclaimed pumpkin addict – if nothing else, this girl is self-aware.
In order to satisfy my pumpkin addiction and Brian’s incessant chocolate cravings, I decided to combine our favorite flavors into one decadent dessert – Pumpkin Brownies.
A sweet and spicy combination of pumpkin and cream cheese is layered between rich, fudgy brownies and topped with chocolate ganache to create an indulgent treat that’s perfect for any Fall feast!
I imagine presenting these Pumpkin Brownies to a Thanksgiving table would lead to plenty of oohs and ahs! Who could possibly resist the swirled center and glistening layer of chocolate?
Let me know where you stand – pumpkin and chocolate, pumpkin and cream cheese, or all of the above?
Yield: 12 brownies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate; coarsely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons homemade pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at medium (50% power) for 3-4 minutes or until butter is melted. While the chocolate is melting, prepare the pumpkin layer. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer well combined and smooth. Set aside.
3. Once the butter is melted, remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until chocolate is melted. Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Gradually add in flour; stir until just combined.
4. Spread 3/4 the batter into prepared pan. Spoon pumpkin filling by tablespoonfuls evenly over batter. Spoon remaining brownie batter over filling. Use a knife or wooden skewer to cut through the batter several times in different directions to create a swirled pattern. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes - do not overbake
5. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Before serving, prepare the ganache.
6. To make the ganache, pour the chopped chocolate into a medium mixing bowl, set aside. Pour the heavy cream into a microwave safe measuring cup (Pyrex) and microwave on high for about 1 minute or until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Take care to not overheat because the cream will boil over. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow it to sit for about 3 minutes. Use a small whisk to combine the mixture into a smooth chocolate glaze. Spoon the ganache over the brownies.
Source: My Baking Addiction
This post is part of an ongoing relationship between My Baking Addiction and Gold Medal Flour. In June of 2012, My Baking Addiction attended a Farm to Table event in Kansas City to learn why Gold Medal has been America’s flour of choice for 125 years. Although this is a sponsored post, the views and opinions expressed are our own and based upon our personal experiences with Gold Medal Flour.