Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake
For the Cake
zest of one lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup blueberry preserves
For the Topping
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cold butter
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest; mix with your fingers until the sugar is slightly moistened and fragrant. Add flour, baking powder, salt to the sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. Add butter, egg, milk and vanilla, mix to combine.
3. Pour half of batter into prepared pan; take care to spread evenly. Stir the preserves and spread it evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter, again spreading evenly.
4. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of the batter.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- adapted from Smuckers
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!