2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (14 ounce) package caramels
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted and slightly cooled
1. Combine crumbs and butter; blend well.
2. Press into the bottom and 2 inches up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set; cool.
4. In a saucepan over low heat, melt caramels in milk, stirring until smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
5. Pour into crust; top with 1 1/2 cups of pecans.
6. Freeze for 15 minutes so ensure layer does not mix in with cream cheese layer.
7. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.Add sugar and vanilla; mix well.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate; mix just until blended.
8. Carefully spread over pecans.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until filling is almost set.
10. Cool to room temperature. Chill overnight.
11. Garnish with drizzled chocolate, caramel, remaining pecans and whipped cream if desired.