Brownies. As you may have noticed, I’ve developed a serious thing for them. Although I may not be the most enthusiastic chocolate consumer around, brownies have stolen my heart and become my newest baking addiction. There’s just something about decadent brownies stuffed with bits of candy bars that makes me a little weak in the knees.
Brian’s recently developed a little addiction of his own in the form of Twix candy bars. With the golden wrapped bars of caramel goodness filling our candy dish, it was only a matter time before they made their way into the center of thick, rich brownie batter.
Baked to ooey gooey perfection, the Twix cookie layer added just the right amount of crunch. And since I’ve never been good at leaving well enough alone, I had to take these over the top with a drizzle of melted caramel candies. And if you’re feeling a little indulgent, serve them warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – not that I did that or anything.
May 4th, 2012
Yield: 12 brownies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate; coarsely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
12 Fun Size Twix Bars, each cut into thirds
For the Caramel
10 individually wrapped caramel candies (I used Kraft)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large bowl microwave-safe bowl at medium (50% power) for 3-4 minutes or until butter is melted.
3. Stir until chocolate is melted. Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Gradually add in flour; stir until just combined.
4. Spread 1/2 the batter into prepared pan. Add an even layer of chopped Twix candy bars and cover with remaining 1/2 of brownie batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes; do not over bake.
5. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Just before serving, cut brownies and prepare the caramel sauce.
6. To make the caramel, place the caramels and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments until the caramels begin to melt; stir frequently. Continue warming and stirring the caramels until you have a smooth, creamy mixture. Drizzle over each brownie and serve immediately.
- The brownies are very fudgy, make sure you allow them to cool completely before cutting into them.
- Take these brownies to another level by serving them topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.