Back in July, I saw a post on Brown Eyed Baker for brownie cookies. If you have never been to her blog, check it out pronto…it’s fab! I was immediately intrigued, and they were on my baking to-do list for weeks.
Once I finally remembered to purchase bittersweet chocolate from the market, I was all over these little bites of chocolate heaven and in my kitchen that afternoon. Michelle called these cookies Better-Than-Brownie Cookies, but even after several taste testing sessions with these cookies and a big glass of ice cold milk, we could not attest to the fact that they were in fact – better than brownies.
In my opinion, they are as good as brownies… in a cookie kind of way. The centers maintain a nice gooey texture while the outsides have a delectable chocolately crust. After making the first 18 cookies, I added 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and some chopped pecans to the remaining batter and these tasted absolutely amazing!
The varying textures were just the perfect addition to an already scrumptious cookie. These are definitely on my top five cookie list and I will be baking them again in the very near future!
Yield: 24 large cookies
2 2/3 cups (about 16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper of a silicone baking mat.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and smooth.
3. In the meantime, stir together the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
5. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine well. Slowly add the dry ingredients, folding them into the batter. Once all of the flour is incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough (a medium cookie scoop’s worth) onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are firm on the outside. Like brownies, do not overbake! Leave to cool completely on the baking sheets.
- from Brown Eyed BakerAll images and text © for My Baking Addiction
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!