I do not not know if I am late to the party, but I need to rave about Honey Crisp Apples…they are amazing! I tried them for the first time last year, but to my disappointment came to find out that they are only available during specific times of the year. If you have never tried these and can get your hands on some…DO IT, they are amazing! I used Honey Crisp Apples in this recipe!
Caramel Apple Bars Adapted from allrecipes
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped apple
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and 1 cup of white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the apples and walnuts.
3. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes in preheated oven; finished bars should spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan, and cut into squares.
5. After these cooled I drizzled them with melted Kraft Caramel Bits! Enjoy!
Sunday 1st of October 2017
One of my FAVORITE recipes!! Thank you so much for sharing this creation :D
Tuesday 3rd of October 2017
So happy to hear you enjoy the recipe, Amy!
Thursday 31st of October 2013
I made these and the caramel on the top got VERY hard and made the bars very hard to cut. I am wondering if I overcooked the caramel? I was able to take it off easily and still ejoy these awesome bars!!!
Friday 10th of January 2014
Hi Sara, It does sound like the caramel was cooked too long. It hardens when it cools like a brittle if it's been cooked too long. - Jamie
Thursday 26th of April 2012
Nice way to use up extra apples.......especially nice served warm with ice cream!! Thanks!
Tuesday 25th of October 2011
I made these recently for school and they went as fast as you say they did when your boyfriend brought them to work! I have had co-workers bugging me for weeks to make these again and I am finally doing so - thanks for sharing this great (super simple) recipe and I hoe things are going well :-)
Tuesday 18th of October 2011
These look and sound yummy! Will be trying soon....if Honey Crisp Apples are not available, what is your suggestion for the next best apple to use - Granny Smith? One other question - 'chopped' apple...how small or big did you chop them? Thanks for all your good recipes and postings.