Hey MBA readers! I’m taking this week off from the blog (more on that later), so I’ve lined up some of my favorite bloggers to fill in for me. First up is the amazingly talented and hilarious Kristan of the wildly popular blog, Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. Kristan’s site quickly became one of my favorite sites to read. Her down-to-earth approach to baking and her quick wit are sure to keep you coming back for more. I can’t wait to try out these cookies, they sound fabulous!
Hi My Baking Addiction readers!!
I’m Kristan, the baker, mom, and displaced housewife behind the food and humor blog Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.
I’m so excited to be posting in Jamie’s absence. I’ve always loved her blog… the gorgeous photos and creative recipes always make me want so stay awhile, so this opportunity is kind of like getting to house sit at a really fancy home. Wanna come over and play music really loud and use the pool with me?
Since Spring is officially here, I thought I’d put a fun spin on my favorite sugar cookies by topping them with a big scoop of coconut frosting and pastel sprinkles. Not only is it festive and delicious, but it ensures that my 7 year old son will leave them all for me!!
True story– if you want to keep a little kid out of your treats, add nuts or coconut. Works every time!
These sugar cookies are just perfect–sugary with a bit of crunch on the outside, and perfectly chewy on the inside. It’s what sugar dreams of becoming.
At least, that’s what I’ve heard.
Coconut Cream Sugar Cookies
Yield: about 3 dozen medium cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
For the Cookies
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sticks salted butter, softened
For the Frosting
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup Cream of Coconut (you can find this with the drink mixer ingredients...it's what you use to make Pina Coladas)
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and both sugars on medium for about a minute, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add flour mixture until completely mixed in.
3. Scoop dough with a small cookie scoop onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
4. Bake cookies for about 15 minutes, until edges turn golden brown. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.
5. Make frosting: In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter and shortening on medium speed until smooth and combined. Add Cream of Coconut, then add powdered sugar, a little at a time on low speed. Once the powdered sugar is mixed in, add shredded coconut and increase mixer speed to high. Beat for a minute, until light and fluffy. If frosting is too thick, add water, a tablespoon at a time until the consistency you want is reached.
Confessions of a Cookbook Queen adapted from Martha StewartAll images and text ©Kristan for My Baking Addiction
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!