As mentioned in a previous post, I received walnuts, pecans, and dried cranberries from Oh Nuts last week. The pecans I got were amazing, so I wanted to bake something that truly highlighted their flavor and texture. I have never made pecan pie, so that was my first thought, but I ended up choosing a recipe for pecan bars. I came across this recipe on a foodie message board. The gal that posted the recipe said these bars were “much requested” and that “people die over them” so I had to give em a whirl. The recipe was super easy, the crust came together in a snap using my food processor and the filling was even more simplistic (I love simple)! I snuck a taste of the filling before I poured it onto the crust and for a moment, I felt compelled to lick the bowl. Seriously, these bars are amazing, if you like pecans, make this recipe!
Pecan Bar Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whole pecans, toasted & tossed with 1 tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9×13 pan with foil, grease.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. Cut in 2/3 cup of butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the prepared pan, and press in firmly.
3. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
4. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, corn syrup, 1 cup total brown & white sugars, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the pecans. Spread the filling evenly over the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.
5. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until set. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing into bars.
*Note– After these cooled on a rack for about 3 hours, I put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. This made the cutting process super easy.
Thursday 7th of November 2013
Thanks so much for this recipe! One of my friends at work had commented previously that pecan pie is her favorite dessert so I made these last night for her birthday today. She loved them and so did everyone else! They really are amazingly delicious.
Thursday 19th of November 2009
I got all the fixings for this pecan bar recipe. My girlfriend has been pregnant for seven months and I swear she's been eating pecan bars for the last seven months. Thank goodness I have not felt tempted to share this craving with her...but I did take a bite of her bar today. So now I am inspired to make some....will let you know how it turned out.
Thursday 8th of January 2009
I made these today.....very good, except I think next time I think I'll not add the sugar in the crust. I believe a bit more saltiness in the crust will balance out the sweetness in the topping.
Friday 28th of November 2008
Mmm, I love baked goods with shortbread crust!
Thursday 27th of November 2008
So today is Thanksgiving and my mom called me on the way over and told me she left the dessert in the fridge... was cooking 4 other things but found some pecans in the cabinet, remembered your recipe, and they turned out great! Thanks!