Apple Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Apple Peanut Butter Cupcakes combine two favorites into one delicious dessert. How can you resist that fluffy peanut butter frosting?
Lizzy is here to share this delicious recipe for Apple Peanut Butter Cupcakes with you while I’m on a little adventure with the family. I know you’ll love them, and plenty of the other cupcakes on Lizzy’s blog, Your Cup of Cake. Thanks, Lizzy!
Back-to-school season is in full swing! These cupcakes take the standard after school snack to a whole new level with fluffy apple cake and sweet peanut butter frosting! You can even top off the cupcake with an apple slice to sneak a few extra fruits into this treat!
I am so glad to be back with another guest post for the fabulous Jamie of My Baking Addiction. Make sure to check out my fall favorites like Pumpkin Nutella Muffins, Reese’s Pieces Cupcakes and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread.
But on to these fun cupcakes….
I love cupcakes and my favorite thing to do is play with flavor combinations! We eat apples with peanut butter all the time, but we don’t see it put into a dessert. But guess what, they work perfectly together! And if you really want to stretch, we can say they’re heathy because there’s protein in the frosting and fruit in the cake :) Okay, maybe they aren’t really healthy, but I feel a little better about eating them knowing there’s some fruits in there somewhere.
These are perfect for school bake sales, after school treats or even for those picky eaters who don’t like chocolate–Yes, they do exist!
You can bake these with any sort of apple but I would suggest either a Granny Smith or Gala. Just use your standard cheese grater to grate them and remember to watch your fingers!
Apple Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18-25 minutes
For the Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups of apple, peeled and shredded (I used 2 medium apples)
For the Peanut Butter Frosting
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk, more if needed
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and egg. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to combine evenly.
- Add in half of your dry ingredients (flour mixture) to the wet and then add buttermilk.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and then shredded apples. Mix until until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-25 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let cool.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and peanut butter.
- Add vanilla extract, milk, and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Continue to slowly add powered sugar until your reach your desired consistency. If it becomes to thick (like cookie dough) add more milk.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with apple slices!