Yes, friends – I totally just uttered the words the best in regards to a banana bread recipe. To some folks, those may be fightin’ words because it seems like everyone has their own opinion of banana bread perfection. Some like it with a little booze – raises my hand – others like it with loads of nuts. Personally, I’m not too fond of nuts in my banana bread, but to each their own, right?
I’ve been making versions of this banana bread recipe for years, but we’ve always consumed it well before I had the opportunity to photograph it. However, the last time I whipped it together, I honestly thought to myself – I nailed it – and I may have given myself a high five.
In my mind, the best banana bread is sweet, but not too sweet. It’s moist, dense, lightly spiced, and packed with banana flavor. Oh and let’s not forget a deliciously crunchy, crumb topping that’s worthy of being noshed by the spoonful. Yep – this is indeed the best banana bread.
May 2nd, 2013
The Best Banana Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
For the Batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Penzy's Cake Spice (see note below)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 5 medium)
For the Topping:
1/4 all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Penzy's Cake Spice
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan - I used coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cake spice. In another large bowl, using an electric hand mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy - about 3 minutes. Stir in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently stir banana mixture into flour mixture - stirring until ingredients are just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Prepare the topping. In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cake spice and salt. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until small clumps form. Spread topping evenly over batter.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack.
- If you do not have Cake Spice, simply sub in cinnamon.
- Banana bread is better served after it has had time to sit overnight at room temperature.
- Banana bread will keep wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for up to 3 days.
- This banana bread is amazing toasted with a pat of butter.
My Baking Addiction adapted from allrecipes.