Chocolate Scotcheroos combine peanut butter, crispy cereal, and chocolate into one delicious treat. Top them with sprinkles and serve on lollipop sticks to create a fun back-to-school snack!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Karo® Syrup as a Bake a Little Extra Blog Ambassador. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that make My Baking Addiction possible.
Even though I left my teaching position 2 years ago, I still get a little bit of back-to-school anxiety when I enter Target and see the aisles lined with folders, markers, backpacks and everything in between.
And as much as I love working from home and blogging full time, there is a little piece of me that misses the hustle and bustle of the back-to-school season. Although I think that piece of me may fade quickly once Elle enters preschool next year.
Elle loves being in the kitchen while I cook and bake. And even though she’s only two, I can always find a few tasks for her to help me with, which is why I love easy recipes like these Chocolate Scotcheroos.
Check out how simple they are to make:
If you’ve never had Chocolate Scotcheroos, let me tell you, you’re missing out! The original recipe was created in the 1960’s and it featured rice cereal, chocolate and peanut butter. And I think no one could argue that flavor combination is an absolute classic, which is why I love Karo® Syrup’s Chocolate Scotcheroos.
They don’t require a ton of ingredients and they’re super simple to make, so they’re the perfect recipe to get the kiddos involved with. And if you have a peanut allergy issue,
I’m happy to report that this recipe works beautifully with WOWBUTTER or almond butter. The Karo® Syrup will keep the scotcheroos soft and chewy regardless of what type of nut butter or alternative you decide to go with.
I even made Chocolate Salted Caramel Scotcheroos with hazelnut spread and they were amazing.
Adding fun, festive sprinkles and lollipop sticks makes these Chocolate Scotcheroos extra special. And I’m pretty certain they’d be the perfect welcome home snack on the first day of school! Just be sure to make a little extra because these adorable treats are sure to disappear in a flash!
Video filmed and edited in collaboration with Emily Caruso.
Yield: 24 bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
- 1 cup Karo® Corn Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- sprinkles, optional
- lollipop sticks, optional
- Line a 13 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper and spray the parchment with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook corn syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add cereal; stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared pan and pat into place.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over cereal. If desired, top with sprinkles.
- Cool at least 45 minutes, or until firm. Cut into bars.
- If desired, insert a lollipop stick into each bar to make Chocolate Scotcheroos on a Stick.
- Almond butter or WOWBUTTER may be substituted for the peanut butter.
- If using lollipop sticks, carefully use a wooden skewer to help form a hole into each bar before inserting lollipop sticks. Allowing the Chocolate Scotcheroos on sticks to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes will help the bars adhere to the sticks.