Fresh Cherry Crisp
Do you ever go to the market and toss way too much produce into your cart? I do this all too often, but I just cannot resist summer fruits like peaches, nectarines and cherries!
Sometimes I find myself ripping open the bag of cherries on the way home and ever so discreetly spit the pits out the window…did I just admit to that? That’s okay… we’re all friends here!
Sunday evening I found my refrigerator overflowing with beautiful cherries and decided to throw something together to use them up before they got fuzzy. I ended up making individual cherry crisps. They turned out fantastic and were even better topped with vanilla bean ice cream.
This Fresh Cherry Crisp held up really well in the fridge and were just as good warmed in the microwave the next day. The boyfriend loved the topping so much he has been begging me to make more for ice cream sundaes!
Fresh Cherry Crisp
Yield: 4 mini crisps
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
For the Crisp Topping
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
For the Filling
- 2 cups pitted sour cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray four ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine oats, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Whisk together well to evenly combine.
- Add brown sugar and melted butter to the flour mixture and mix well to form a clumpy dough. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine pitted cherries, granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Mix well so the cherries are coated with the flour and sugar. Divide them between the four sprayed ramekins.
- Cover cherries with crisp topping, dividing it evenly between the four ramekins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crisp topping is golden brown.
- You can easily double this recipe and prepare in one 9"x13" baking dish.