Simple Microwave Lemon Curd
Microwave Lemon Curd couldn’t be easier, or more delicious. It’s perfect for topping yogurt, ice cream, cheesecake and so much more!
If you’ve been following my blog for any length of time, you are well aware of the fact that I am a sucker for lemon desserts.
If you’re a lemon lover and have never made homemade lemon curd, print this recipe, head to the store, grab yourself a bunch of lemons, and get to making this microwave lemon curd.
While you’re at the store, be sure to also grab some vanilla bean ice cream, a cheesecake AND mini tart shells because you’re going to eating this sweet and tart spread on ALLTHETHINGS.
If you have never made lemon curd before, it’s a very basic process of heating eggs, butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest.
This combination of ingredients creates a thick, tart lemon spread that you’ll want to eat with a spoon. No shame here, I’m totally guilty of eating spoonfuls of the stuff with a little spray of whipped cream.
There are numerous methods for making lemon curd, but my absolute favorite way is in the microwave.
Yes, the microwave. Now before you tell me it’s easier to make on the stove, I hear what you’re saying. And while I agree that making it on the stovetop is pretty simple as well, I find that cooking the lemon curd in the microwave is just easier.
With this microwave method, you don’t have to mess with a double boiler, or really worry about cooking the eggs too much and ending up with little specks of scrambled eggs in your curd. You may kind of feel like you’re cheating a bit and possibly become lemon curd obsessed since you can whip up a batch in about 5 minutes!
Once you taste this lemon curd, you’ll be digging through your pantry and fridge just searching for something to slather it on. Whether you spread it on scones, waffles, or pancakes, or spoon it over your favorite cake, this lemon curd is sure to become one of your new favorites!
If you need some ideas to use up your microwave lemon curd, check out these recipes on My Baking Addiction, or just eat it all with spoon. Totally your call – no judging here!
Microwave Lemon Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (yolks and whites)
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
- zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth and thoroughly combined. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter.
- Cook in the microwave on full power for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute. This process will take about 3-5 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave. You will know the lemon curd is done cooking when it coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the microwave, push through a fine, mesh sieve and pour into sterile jar or container.
- Once the curd has cooled to room temperature, cover it with a lid and store it in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. The curd will thicken as it cools.
– from allrecipesAll images and text ©
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!
This recipe and post originally appeared on My Baking Addiction in May of 2008. It has been updated with new text and photos.
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.