Baked Chocolate Donuts are packed full of fresh strawberries and semi-sweet chocolate morsels and dipped in fresh strawberry icing. Perfectly sweet and great for breakfast or dessert!
Donuts are basically the best thing on planet earth. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with my donut enthusiasm but that’s ok.
I don’t need the whole world to love donuts as much as I do. I also spell it donut so no emails about how it’s supposed to be spelled doughnut. I like to believe we can live in a world where donut and doughnut spellers can live together in peace.
Now, I know a traditional donut is fried BUT I’m just not a fan of frying at my house. It’s truthfully not even the added fat of frying that I hate. It’s the smell.
There is seriously nothing worse than the smell of fried food. And I swear it just lingers in the house for days. So I’ve pretty much given up on my desire to fry. However, I can still get my donut love in baked form.
There are some people that think baked donuts is nothing more than a round muffin but I think they’re awesome. Plus after I throw on the icing I’m not missing much.
This version of baked chocolate donuts takes a simple chocolate base and fills it with fresh chopped strawberries and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I will warn you the plain donut is not super sweet but once you throw on the frosting you’re set!
Oh and that frosting is on point. Not only is it beautiful (seriously, that color!) but it’s made with just a few simple ingredients. I truthfully think the thing I love most about it is that it’s made with fresh mashed strawberries. It’s perfectly sweet and perfect for summer.
I also sprinkled a few of my baked chocolate donuts with sprinkles because I’m a firm believer that you are never too old for sprinkles on your donuts. Obviously, it’s optional but where’s the fun in that?
Looking for more delicious strawberry recipes? Try my cheesecake stuffed strawberries or my strawberry freezer jam! You can also check out Jamie’s Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake and Strawberry Oatmeal Bars.
Baked Chocolate Donuts
For the Donuts:
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup small diced strawberries
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup mashed strawberries
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
For the Baked Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a standard 6-count donut pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and kosher salt, set aside.
- In a larger bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Once mixed add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, granulation sugar, vanilla bean paste and instant espresso powder to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Add batter to the donut pan and bake for about 9 minutes or until the donut springs back when touched. Let the donut rest in the pan for a few minutes before trying to take it out. If you take it out too soon it might break.
- Spray pan again with non-stick spray and make remaining donuts. You should get about 10 donuts.
For the Strawberry Icing
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients. The mixture will look very thick at first but keep stirring. The berries will release a bit of juice to help thin out the icing.
- If it looks too thin add more powdered sugar. If it looks too thick just let it sit for a few minutes and it will get thinner. Ice your donuts immediately so the icing does not thin out too much.