Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos
Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos are a fun and festive spin on a classic no-bake dessert. Chocolate hazelnut spread, dark chocolate chips, and crushed candy canes make them extra special!
This post is sponsored by Karo® Syrup as part of the Season of Sweetness Blogger Program. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that make My Baking Addiction possible.
So I officially made it through Thanksgiving and admittedly needed a couple of days to unwind from the cooking and baking frenzy that took place in my kitchen. Oh, and retail therapy. I needed a bit of that too.
With the holiday season quickly approaching, I’ve been trying to organize my holiday treat must-make list. And first on that ever-growing list of sweets are these Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos.
If you’ve never had a Scotcheroo, let me tell you, you’re really missing out! They’re one of my favorite no-bake treats and the recipe is incredibly simple because all of the ingredients are in 1-cup measurements except the crispy rice cereal. So easy!
The original recipe was created in the 1960s, and it featured crispy rice cereal, chocolate and peanut butter. And I think no one could argue that flavor combination is an absolute classic.
Since I’ve always been a lover of all things chocolate-peppermint, I decided to give traditional Chocolate Scotcheroos a fun and festive twist by swapping in chocolate hazelnut spread for the peanut butter and topping them with crushed candy canes to create these Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos.
My inspiration for this recipe actually comes from Karo® Syrup’s Festive Peppermint Scotcheroos which uses traditional peanut butter and butterscotch chips.
You might be questioning my judgement right now because peanut butter and peppermint is anything but traditional, but I promise you it’s a delightful combination!
Speaking of peanut butter, if someone in your crew has a peanut butter allergy, Scotcheroos work beautifully when you sub in other nut butters, or even peanut butter substitutes.
The Karo® Syrup adds just the right amount of sweetness and ensures your Scotcheroos will be soft and chewy!
And since they’re no-bake they’ll leave space in the oven for all the cookies! Just make sure you don’t skip adding these delectable bites to your cookie boxes for gifting this holiday season.
They’re a wonderful addition, and I’d bet you my favorite hoodie they’re the first thing to go from the gift box.
Whipping up treats for your friends and family, there’s simply not a better way to spend the season, as far as I’m concerned. And when the nibbles coming out of my kitchen are as fine as Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos? It’s the making of the best holiday season yet.
Chocolate Peppermint Scotcheroos
- 1 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 10 ounces semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup crushed peppermint wheels OR candy canes
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment, or foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook corn syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate hazelnut spread; mix well.
- Add cereal; stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared pan and pat into place. Allow Scotcheroos to cool completely before topping with ganache. You can pop the pan into the refrigerator to speed up the process.
- For the topping: Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from the cream from the heat and pour it over the chocolate chips. Wait about 3-4 minutes then whisk to combine. It may take a few minutes of stirring for the ganache to come together, but I promise it will. The ganache will thicken as it cools.
- Allow the ganache too cool until just slightly warm and still pourable. Pour the ganache over the Scotcheroos and smooth with offset spatula. Allow ganache to set for about 10 minutes before topping with crushed candy canes.
- Refrigerate until set. Cut into 24 bars.
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.