Homemade Chili and Taco Seasoning
Do you ever find yourself in the middle of cooking dinner and realize that you’re out of a key ingredient? This happened to me about three years ago when I was in the middle of making a huge pot of chili. After searching my pantry for a nonexistent envelope of chili seasoning, I had to improvise. Turns out this moment of annoyance created a spice cabinet must have.
After a quick visit to Google, I realized that I could make my own chili seasoning and it worked out beautifully. I was able to control the level of heat and the salt content from making my own spice mix and my chili wound up being incredibly flavorful. This homemade chili seasoning recipe wound up being so good, I ended up making a large batch of it and storing it in my spice cabinet.
This simple chili seasoning turned into a multipurpose spice blend that now flavors most of my Mexican inspired dishes. Everything from homemade tacos to roasted potatoes can be enhanced with this easy to make homemade seasoning blend. Moral of the story? Sometimes a kitchen conundrum can turn into something quite splendid.
Stay tuned later in the week for my favorite chili recipe, trust me, it’s delicious and will be the perfect last minute addition to your Super Bowl Spread!
Homemade Taco and Chili Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, ground cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
- Stored in an airtight container, this spice blend will keep for up to a year.
- When making chili or tacos using one pound of ground beef, start with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the seasoning blend and adjust according to your tastes.
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.