Honey Bun Cake
Honey Bun Cake- A yellow cake mix gets transformed with a few ingredients and a brown sugar and spice center makes this Honey Bun Cake anything but ordinary. The vanilla glaze simply takes this cake over the top.
It’s September. I can’t even. This year is flying by at mad speed. I don’t know if having a baby turned this year into blur or what, but it needs to sllloooow down – just a bit.
I’m already seeing people post things like “There are 112 Days, 00 hours, 38 minutes and 19 seconds until Christmas” – what? You’re welcome for that update by the way.
Before we go breaking out all the Elf on a Shelf shenanigans and covering my Pinterest feed with all the cookies in the universe, let’s get through Halloween. Deal?
September is always a transitional month for me. It’s not quite Fall, but it most definitely feels like Summer is over – despite the fact that is was a gazillion degrees this weekend. Because what better way to ease the 90 degree woes than to crank up the oven, right? That’s dedication, folks.
Bundt cakes will forever remind me of my Nana, not because she made a ton of bundt cakes, but because in my mind bundt cakes are a bit retro. Don’t get me wrong, I love them to pieces and I have definitely made my fair share of them over the years. By the way, this Pumpkin Bundt Cake is pretty much the bees knees and this one isn’t too shabby either.
One recipe I do remember her making was a Honey Bun Cake, although she called it a Cinnamon Coffee Cake and it was mighty delicious. And the great thing is that it’s super simple to make. A yellow cake mix gets transformed with a few ingredients and a brown sugar and spice center makes this Honey Bun Cake anything but ordinary. The vanilla glaze simply takes this cake over the top.
As soon as it came out of the oven Eric was immediately intrigued because it looked just like a cake his grandma used make! I’m telling ya, nothing evokes the memories of grandmas more than bundt cakes and cinnamon! After the glaze hardened a bit, he immediately ate a piece in about 3 bites. I even let him snag a slice before I took photos – that’s true love right there.
If you’re not a fan of cake mixes, no worries – sub in your favorite from scratch yellow cake recipe. There are even quite a few delicious organic cake mixes on the market. Fill it with that brown sugar mixture and bath it in a vanilla glaze and you just can’t go wrong. We’re talking cake here and in my book, cake is always a good thing.
Honey Bun Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons homemade pumpkin pie spice
For the Icing
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons vanilla coffee creamer (see note below)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture onto the cake batter and top with remaining half of batter. Use a skewer to swirl the brown sugar layer into batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and allow the cake to thoroughly cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, prepare the icing. Whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla coffee creamer and drizzle over the cake.
- Cake will store at room temperature in an airtight container for 24 hours.
- You can substitute the vanilla coffee creamer for 4 tablespoons milk and 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
- If you’re not a fan of cake mixes, no worries – sub in your favorite from scratch yellow cake recipe. There are even quite a few delicious organic cake mixes on the market.
My Baking Addiction adapted from allrecipesAll images and text ©
Follow Jamie on Instagram. We love to see what you're baking from MBA! Be sure to tag @jamiemba and use the hashtag #mbarecipes!
Love bundt cakes? Check out these delicious recipes.Chocolate Swirl Coffee Cake
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.