Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes
Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes are a fun and portable take on my favorite dessert. They’re perfect for summer barbecues and potlucks.
This post is sponsored by Challenge Dairy. Thank you for continuing to support the brands that make My Baking Addiction possible.
You guys, it is FINALLY starting to feel like spring here in Ohio and I couldn’t be more excited about it. We just returned home after 10 days at the beach in Florida with the most glorious weather.
Sunshine, blue skies, a lovely breeze and 80 degrees – it was seriously the weather vacation dreams are made of. And the whole time we were gone, it was cold and rainy here in Ohio, but luckily, I think we may have brought some of the Florida sunshine home with us.
We’re so excited about the warmer weather because we have big plans for our backyard. Between having a patio installed, fresh landscaping and play set for Elle, we have big plans for summer entertaining.
And I can’t wait to pick out new furniture, plants and other little touches to make our backyard feel like an extension of our home.
We’re pretty excited that we don’t have to hang out in our driveway anymore because we’ll finally have a place in the backyard for Elle to run around, blow bubbles and run through the sprinkler.
One of the reasons that I am most excited for our backyard overhaul is that we’ll have a place to accommodate family and friends for summer barbecues.
Because let’s face it, having a summer party in a garage filled with landscaping equipment, garbage cans and bikes just isn’t that amazing of an experience for anyone.
When my lovely friends at Challenge Dairy asked me to create a fun twist on my favorite BBQ dessert, I immediately thought of Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes.
If you’re a regular reader, you know cheesecake is pretty much my favorite thing to make AND eat, so why not take those flavors and turn them into portable individual dessert that are perfect for any BBQ?
I started with a sturdy yellow cake recipe and stirred in some finely crushed graham crackers. Then I topped the cupcakes with my favorite cream cheese frosting using Challenge Cream Cheese, more graham cracker crumbs and cherry pie filling.
You can even core the cupcakes and add in a little more cream frosting or more cherry pie filling for a fun little surprise inside each cupcake.
Challenge Dairy products are my go-to for pretty much any recipe that calls for cream cheese or butter, because I like what they stand for. There are no hormones, additives or fillers. Challenge is dedicated to putting all-natural high quality products on the table.
I also find it super cool that they’ve created a workflow that means their products are ready for the dairy case 24 hours from when that cow was milked. Talk about fresh! Most competitors take 5-7 days.
Seriously, these Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes are so dreamy, you guys. If you’re a fan of cheesecake, these may be your new favorite way to eat it. Who’s ready for summer?!
Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 47 minutes
- 1 cup Challenge unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 8 ounces Challenge cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar (about 3 ¾ cups), sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the cake flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, mixing the batter well between each egg. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula and mix for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add in half of the flour mixture, then all of the milk and vanilla, followed by the rest of the flour mixture. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl again, and mix for an additional 30 seconds to make sure the batter is smooth and ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Finally, fold in the graham cracker crumbs with a rubber spatula.
- Use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter between the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes.
- Place pans on cooking racks and cool completely.
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together, cream cheese, and butter until well combined about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer of low, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla and mix to combine. Turn mixer to medium speed and mix for approximately 5 more minutes.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle frosted cupcakes with graham cracker crumbs and top with cherry pie filling.