Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are rich, delicious and loaded with flavor. Have ’em for breakfast all week long. Every morning is better with chocolate!
Earlier this week I posted a recipe for a scrumptious Lemon Zucchini Cake and I told you that I was baking zucchini into allthethings. I wasn’t kidding.
I’m just trying to hold onto summer for a few more weeks and use up a bunch of zucchini that my mom plopped on my kitchen counter without any ceremony or circumstance (gee thanks, Mom).
Don’t you worry, I promise to bombard you with more pumpkin spice than you can dream of in coming months. If you’ve been around for awhile, you know that pumpkin pie spice is my jam, but it’s just a little too soon for all that business.
Another thing that falls into the category of too soon are Christmas decorations – in any capacity. This morning while indulging in a mani/pedi, I noticed a shelf in the salon that was decorated with Christmas decor – complete with a countdown calendar that read 114 days. 114 days! Who does this?!
Step away from those Christmas countdown calendars, folks. Target doesn’t even have Halloween costumes yet!
Just kidding… you do you. And if that means celebrating Christmas in August when it’s 90 degrees outside, have at it. I just want no part of it. Hello, I’m still shredding up a million home-grown zucchinis and doing my very best to trick Eric and Elle into eating it.
Let’s talk about these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins. They’re honestly one of the best muffins that I’ve ever made. And that’s a tall order, given I run a baking website. They’re full of chocolate flavor from using cocoa powder and two types of chocolate chips, and the texture is simply amazing thanks to the zucchini.
Whenever I bake with zucchini, I always grate it super fine because it practically disappears into the batter. My dad, who is not fond of the green squash, noshed down a couple of these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins in a matter minutes, and proclaimed them freaking delicious. And I have to say, I totally agree with him.
Did you know that in England and most of Europe, zucchini is actually called courgette? My friend Amber’s husband is British, and every once in a while he pops up with random facts like this. Say it with me, now – “CORE-JETTE”. Almost like Corvette.
Can you tell I’m getting a little loopy from a never-ending supply of zucchini that has to be dealt with? I think I’ll sit down with a few of these muffins and more coffee. Because this entire situation needs some additional caffeine. But no Christmas decorations, thankyouverymuch.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Yield: about 20 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18-22 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini, slightly drained
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin pan wells with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the sugars, oil, eggs, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in zucchini until it is evenly distributed into the batter. Stir in semisweet chocolate chips.
- Use a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons) to distribute batter amongst the prepared muffin wells.
- If desired, sprinkle mini milk chocolate chips onto the top of each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes.